Lukruk is the character model I did for my modeling reel at Vancouver Film School fall 2012.
The goal was to make a model that is fully functional for animation.
Modeling something like this was one thing but making it work was tricky sometimes. He was rigged and animated by my friend and colleague Amir Ronen at VFS.
To build him I used Maya 2012, ZBrush for sculpting surface details on the face, Modo for unwrapping, Mari and Photoshop for textures, rendered with Mental Ray and composed in Nuke.
Modeling him took me 12 weeks. Scene cleanup and unwrapping those 4 million polys took me another 2 weeks.
Texturing was done in 6 weeks inlcuding diffuse, reflection, normals etc. (49 maps each).